Acadian Museum of P.E.I.
On view are the permanent exhibition and video The Island Acadians: The Story of a People which feature the story of the Acadians of PEI since 1720 and celebrating the vitality of today’s Island Acadian community. Also, as part of the 200th anniversary of Miscouche in 2017, the Acadian Museum presents the exhibition Miscouche of Bygone Days which displays numerous vintage photos and artifacts illustrating the rich history as well as the social and cultural life of the villages of Miscouche and St. Nicholas. Acadian genealogy resources available to researchers. A gift shop offers Acadian books, in French and in English, CD’s of Acadian music, Acadian flags, and other souvenirs. Open daily 9:30 am–5 pm. Miscouche, Rte 2. 902-432-2880.
Beaconsfield Historic House
Built in 1877, Beaconsfield is as a fine example of Victorian architecture with many original features intact. It is open year-round for tours, hosts events in its Carriage House and has a small giftshop/bookstore on site. July and August daily 10 am–4:30 pm. Last tour at 4:15 pm. 2 Kent St, Charlottetown. 902-368-6603
Basin Head Fisheries Museum
Live at Basin Head Fisheries Museum and gift shop Fridays in August offers free admission to the Museum all day each Fri with fun activities starting at 2 pm. Enjoy music, food tasting, demonstrations, art with artists, book readings/signings, and children’s activities. Basin Head. 902-357-7233
Bedeque Area Museum
The Museum’s new exhibition marks the centenary of the start of a rail ferry service from Borden to Cape Tormentine in 1917. The display tells the story of the Northumberland Strait crossing at Cape Traverse and Borden, from the early iceboats in 1827 to closure of the service in 1997 with the opening of the Confederation Bridge. It will feature objects and memorabilia from private collections (including past workers) and from the P.E.I. Museum and Heritage Foundation. Tue–Sat, 10 am–5 pm, Sun 1–5 pm. William Callbeck Centre, Central Bedeque.
Lefurgey Cultural Centre
An exhibit of works by 20 artists celebrates the 150 anniversary of the historic Wyatt and Lefurgey properties. It can be viewed Mon–Sat 10 am–5 pm to end of Aug, and then Mon–Fri to September 29. 205 Prince St, Summerside.
Bishop Machine Shop
Step back in time with a visit to the 20th century belt driven Bishop Machine Shop and embrace the smells and sights of a small business once a key player in the industrial life of Summerside. The guided tour explores the journey of several generations of the Bishop family as technology forces them to move from blacksmithing to machine work. July 3–September 2 Mon–Sat 10 am–5 pm. 101 Water St East, Summerside.
MacNaught History Centre
To discover your Island roots or learn more about Island history, visit MacNaught. The archival staff will assist in the use of the genealogical resources. MacNaught houses a museum and art exhibit space. The pocket watch of John A. MacDonald is one of its treasured artifacts. Year round Tuesday–Saturday 10 am–4 pm. Call to book a research appointment. 75 Spring St, Summerside. 902-432-1332
PEI Regiment Museum
On display is PEI’s Footsteps in the Great War, a history of the Regiment and PEI during WWI. Monday–Friday 9 am–4 pm, Thursday 7–9 pm. 3 Haviland St, Charlottetown.
Wyatt Historic House Museum
International Fox Museum
Islanders were the first in the world race to succeed in raising and breeding foxes in captivity. It put the province on the map as the birthplace of a new industry filled with high stakes and high fashion. During the heyday it created incredible wealth and opportunity for the colourful characters in the game. The tour is guided and interactive. July 3–September 2 Mon–Sat 10 am–5 pm or by appt. 33 Summer St, Summerside. 902-432-1332
PEI Museum and Heritage Foundation Museum Sites
PEI Museum and Heritage Foundation Museum maintains seven sites across PEI which are open to the public. They are Green Park Shipbuilding Museum & Yeo House, Acadian Museum, Eptek Art & Culture Centre, Beaconsfield Historic House, Orwell Corner Historic Village, Basin Head Fisheries Museum and Elmira Railway Museum. For complete information about each site visit the foundation’s website at www.peimuseum.com.
Community Museums Association of PEI
The Community Museums Association of Prince Edward Island contributes to the enhancement, promotion and protection of Prince Edward Island’s heritage. Approximately 40 museums across Prince, Queens and Kings Counties are members of the Assocation. For info on each museum visit www.museumspei.ca.
Passport to PEI
The Community Museums Association of Prince Edward Island is pleased to announce the re-launch of the Passport to Prince Edward Island Heritage. The last time this circulated was in 2003. The Passport is a joint project of the Community Museums Association and the PEI Museum & Heritage Foundation to celebrate and commemorate Canada’s 150th. Funding for the project was provided in part by the PEI Dept of Education, Early Learning & Culture.
The purpose of the passport is to: provide visitors and residents with an orientation and guide to the museums and heritage sites on PEI; increase the incentive to visit a great number of museums/heritage sites; act as a souvenir to visitors; increase the public’s awareness of our island Heritage; and promote tourism by encouraging visitors to stay longer and visit more often. The Passport to Prince Edward Island Heritage includes digital images, maps, GPS coordinates, admission fees, hours of operation, and general information about the museum/historical site.
Passports are available for a $1 donation. The Passports will be using a stamp system. Passports will be stamped at each museum visited, just like a real passport. Each museum has a special stamp. The Passports will be available at all of the participating Community Museum Association of Prince Edward Island 30+ member sites. For more information please visit www.museumspei.ca.
Prince County member museums are: Acadian Museum, Alberton Museum, Alberton Heritage Centre, Basket Weavers, Bedeque and Area Historical Museum, Bideford Parsonage Museum, Canadian Potato Museum, Eptek Art and Culture Centre, Green Park Shipbuilding Museum, International Fox Museum, Keir Memorial Museum, Kensignton Memorial Military Museum, Lennox Island Mi’kmaq Cultural Centre, L.M. Montgomery Lower Bedeque Schoolhouse, PEI Shellfish Museum, Tignish Museum, Tryon Museum, West Point Lighthouse, and Wyatt Heritage Properties.
Queens County museums are: Beaconsfield Historic House, Belfast Historical Society’s Church of Scotland, Confederation Centre Art Gallery & Museum, Doucet House, Farmers' Bank of Rustico, Lucy Maud Montgomery Birthplace, Orwell Corner Historic Village, Point Prim Lighthouse, Prince Edward Island Regiment Museum, School Street House, Sir Andrew Macphail Homestead, and Wood Islands Lighthouse.
Kings County museums are: Basin Head Fisheries Museum, Cape Bear Lighthouse, Cardigan River Heritage Centre, East Point Lighthouse, Elmira Railway Museum, Garden of the Gulf Museum, Panmure Island Lighthouse, and Roma at Three Rivers.